Monday, June 16, 2014

"Strange Pines" ... my attempt at painting!

Okay ... my second grade teacher told me I had NO artistic ability at all - and I believed her.  I didn't even attempt any artistic endeavors from then on.  Until now.  Why not have some fun and create something ... even if it won't win awards or end up being sold on the auction block?

So ... I joined a friend and we went to Painting with a Twist in Tempe, AZ.  It's a fun two-hour class with an instructor who leads students through a formulaic process of painting a particular piece.  You can bring wine or beer (and some students did).  Super music is blasting during the evening.  And the entire experience is based on FUN!  Of course I documented the class with photos.  Here we go ...

You can find franchise studios in a lot of places.  On the left is the painting we're working on.  On the right:  the instructor's work as we go through the class.


Our instructor, Eli ... a professional artist.


Students are set up with a canvas, brushes, and a paint palette.


This is the topic painting we were working from:  "Summer Pines."


We started by painting the background ... three layers to indicate light.  And then, in chalk, we drew our trees on the canvas.


Now add some deep green foliage.


At this point, it's time for some mustard-colored highlights after painting the tree trunks and branches.


I've already added some lighter green foliage and here I am painting more highlights.



















Here is my masterpiece:  "Strange Pines."  Yes ... I WILL hang this because it is my first - and probably my last - acrylic painting on canvas.  


It was a fun evening.  If you have a chance, give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment! I learn when I see my work through your eyes!